A Virtual Teach-in by UCF Faculty
Join UCF faculty in a virtual teach-in during this critical moment in our country's history. Faculty from the College of Arts and Humanities and the College of Sciences will lead a series of short presentations on racism in America from a comparative perspective. Positioned as our community's experts, our faculty will also answer your questions. The teach-in will facilitate a greater understanding and awareness of how racial discrimination and inequalities permeate many different aspects of our country's history, socio-economic system, and politics. It will exhort participants to take action and address the persistent legacies of racism.
The teach-in will feature opening remarks by Dr. Güneş Murat Tezcür, from the UCF School of Politics, Securities, and International Affairs. UCF History Alumnus Brandon Nightingale, M.A., who serves as the Archival Coordinator at Carl S. Swisher Memorial Library at Bethune-Cookman University, will serve as moderator.
Speakers and their topics include:
- Dr. Jonathan Cox, Department of Sociology; Color-blindness IS Racism‚ and White Supremacy
- Dr. Fon Gordon, Department of History; Dispossession: Racial Disadvantage and Public Policy
- Dr. Edward Gonzalez-Tennant, Department of Anthropology; Archaeology is Antiracist or It is Nothing: Confronting the Legacies of Anti-Black Pogroms in 2020
- Dr. Connie Lester, Department of History; The Rhyme of History: Racism in the Florida Narrative
- Dr. Amelia Lyons, Department of History; Colonialism, Migration, and Universalist Rhetoric: The Historic Roots of State Violence against People of Color in France
- Dr. Bhoomi Thakore, Department of Sociology; The Maintenance of Racism and Inequality in a Capitalist Society
- Dr. Keri Watson, School of Visual Arts and Design; The American Carceral Landscape and the Perpetuation of Slavery
- Dr. Kenicia Wright, School of Politics, Security, and International Affairs; Representative Bureaucracy, Intersectionality, and Female Health Outcomes in the US
Join us virtually on Zoom: https://ucf.zoom.us/j/97156569941?pwd=bFhiaGpiMDQwdVJrUEFKS1ZxZUxtdz09